Saturday, July 4, 2009

THURSDAY 2nd JULY (KYIV CUSTOMS BROKER)

THURSDAY 2nd JULY 2009



In Paul's words -

I arrived in Kyiv 8.30am, right on time. I made my way to the front of the Station and Alex calls (the Kyiv Customs Broker). It's difficult as his English is limited. Alla calls and says go back to the train and wait beside carriage 5. I go back but the train has gone...!!!

Alex calls and asks can I see McDonalds? All I can see is a church. Alex works out I'm at the rear entrance and after 15 minutes he finds me. We go in his car to the 'Auto Man' for the document.

After 45 minutes we see the 'Auto Man' and he stamped a document. I am sort-of feeling joy but it turns out it's authority to go to the next place...!!!

After 30 minutes driving we arrive at the Polytechnic (Uni) and find a small office with three ladies in it. After Alex shows the honcho the documents they ask does it need spares. I said "Da" (about 90 times). They then deem the black and white photo's to be on too thin a paper and need to be colour...!!! WHAT...!!! We are directed to the Uni's photocopy centre where Alex puts his flashcard in only to discover the format is wrong! I produce two colour A4 copies I have and Alex is wrapt, he was getting VERY concerned. We get them copied on to photo paper, four copies of each...!!!

We return to the office with the three ladies and pick up a stamped document and 'stamped' photo's of the bike (all 8 of them). IS THIS THE DOCUMENT...??? No, it's not! We must now return to the original 'Auto Man' for the next stage. It's now 1300 hours and Alex drops me off in town and says he will be back at 1500 as he needs to go to the Customs Service which I presume is for something else.

I wander up to the 'Auto Mans' office at the agreed time of 1500 hours. My phone rang and Alex was already inside so I decided to go in. The guard had other ideas...!!! Alex came down after five minutes and said the 'Auto Man' requires full copies of everything...AGAIN...??? So we jumped into the car and went 28 kilometers in heavy traffic to Alex's house/apartment. He told me to wait in the car for 10 minutes and half-an-hour later he emerged with all. We drove the 28 kilometers back to town in the same heavy traffic!

We went to the 'Auto Mans' office but were told to wait as it was 'drinking time' (Vodka)...!!! The 'Auto Man' must issue the documents at his discretion...!!! By this time I have worried every bone in my body to bits because it ALL hinges on this! After a while the 'Auto Man' ushered us in to another office away from the grog and proceeded to sort through the reams of papers and associated copies. He was laughing with Alex so is that a good sign? Then he asked in broken English was the bike to go to Australia (I thought 'here it comes') and said "Yes". He asked me "Why this model", and then said "Exotic?" I said, "Da, da, da", then with only minutes to go before knock-off time he signed and stamped all. I FINALLY GOT THE DOCUMENTS. Strangely enough I didn't feel anything! I think I was beyond that...!!!

Alex took me to the train station and booked the ONE and ONLY seat to Odessa leaving at 0023 hours, six hours away.

Oksana and Alla (in Odessa) were informed and fingers crossed the remaining document to obtain will be a mere formality (hhmmm, perhaps I shouldn't say that...!!!)

This process cost heaps, a bit for everyone. No receipts are issued so imagine it doesn't go through the government books. Imagine THAT procedure!

TWO WORKING DAYS TO GO BEFORE WE HAVE TO DEPART UKRAINE...






Alex and the 'Auto Man'. Which one's been drinking the MOST Vodka...???

4 comments:

  1. Your current obsession with the scrap metal totally bewilders Smith,I'm sure you are both quite beyond reason at this stage,I would love to hear more about the real stuff about Russia,people(other than the motor man,)streetscapes, what are the pubs like? have you visited any galleries,I saw Kiev on a live feed the other morning but couldnt see Paul any where! What is the music scene like, appart from loud?
    Hope you regain your sanity soon; Much love, SMITH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that for a piece of paper... Nothing changed since the soviet times! I hope all the troubles will be behind you after the 2 working days! :) And maybe your actual tour of Russia, whenever that may come, will be more pleasant then the one of Ukraine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm. Tough call - but as it's Russia, I'd guess the one on the left?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys and gals, this is Ukraine, a very different country. Although the love for drinking and the beaurocratic practises are almost the same.

    ReplyDelete